A versatile and lucrative career awaits students who choose to study computer science, with jobs such as software developer, software designer, data analyst, information systems manager, entrepreneur, and many more on offer.
For students looking to pursue a degree in this field, Australia is home to some of the top universities in the world. According to the QS Rankings, the University of Melbourne, the University of Adelaide, University of Wollongong, Deakin University, Griffith University, and many more are some of the best institutes in the world for studying computer science.
Why study computer science?
A degree in Computer Science leads to a plethora of great job opportunities in Australia. By studying and receiving a computer science degree, you can develop apps, create solutions to real-world IT problems, and develop products and services that positively upgrade the world.
A Computer Science degree also enables flexible working conditions, creating opportunities to work remotely or from the office depending on the nature of the job. Most Australian universities have accreditation from the Australian Computer Society, where universities and their courses undergo a rigorous evaluation process that ensures that graduates attain the knowledge and skill sets to make them effective professionals.
Which are the best universities in Australia for computer science?
Students who choose to study computer science in Australia look for and expect to get educated by the best. Here are some of the top-ranked universities in Australia that these students should consider:
- University of Technology, Sydney: Ranked among the top institutes in the world for computer sciences, the University of Technology in Sydney is home to around 45,000 students from 12 countries, creating a diverse yet strong community. It is also ranked Australia’s top university for research impact, integrating real-world practices into its courses to best prepare students for the future.
- The University of Adelaide: The University of Adelaide is among the prestigious Group of 8 in Australia and is also ranked #50 globally for computer science and engineering. Backed by a highly-skilled teaching staff who are experts in their fields, students studying here get nothing short of the best. Studying at the University of Adelaide is considered estimable as it boasts a strong alumni portfolio including 5 Nobel Prize winners, the first female prime minister of Australia and the first Australian astronaut to walk in space.
- University of Wollongong: Ranked among the top 10 universities in Australia and among the top 200 universities in the world, the University of Wollongong is known for producing graduates with career readiness and knowledge encompassing the breadth and depth of the ICT industry. Students study computer science programs relevant to industry trends and standards, through which they get introduced to real-world projects and earn critical skills.
- Griffith University, Nathan: Griffith University is ranked #1 in Queensland for computer science. Home to some of the finest minds in computer science, Griffith University offers world-class courses which focus on hands-on learning where students get to work on a practical project which helps them achieve the attributes required to excel at full-time employment.
- La Trobe University, Melbourne: Ranked among the top 1% of universities globally, La Trobe University offers computer science programs with state-of-the-art facilities, including high-tech labs for cybersecurity, engineering and computer science. Along with this, the students of La Trobe University benefit from the strong industry connections of the university, which help students take up learning-focused projects during their course.
How can you get admission?
Indian students willing to apply to Australian universities must have successfully completed their 12th-grade and secured a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent. Each university has different requirements, but most need a letter of recommendation and a statement of purpose when applying.
Students looking at studying computer science in Australia can start their course directly with their class 12 scores, without an SOP/LOR with The WorldGrad – The Smartest Way To Study Overseas. To study in Australia, students can choose between the UniSmarter Program or the Global Online Accelerator Program, both of which lead to top-ranked universities in Australia, including the University of Wollongong, the University of Adelaide, Griffith University, La Trobe University and more.
They make high-quality overseas education affordable and accessible to all. Their programs allow students to complete the 1st semester of their Australian undergraduate degree from the comfort of home before progressing to the Australian campus. Their admission process is simple and seamless, which allows students to complete travel and finance formalities while studying the 1st semester, thereby saving time and expenses.
For Indian students willing to pursue a career in computer science, Australia offers limitless opportunities and a vibrant, growth-enabling culture. ICT professionals are among the most sought-after in the industry, and studying in Australia makes students more employable in the country.
A career in Computer Science also allows you to work from almost anywhere in the world, ensuring that you can always stay connected and contribute to solving real-world problems while also furthering your career aspirations. To benefit from the programs offered by The WorldGrad, contact their expert counselling team here.